Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Conversations with Students

So today I had 3 out of 4 of my Screen English students come to class with no homework. Since Screen Class doesn't have Jae-si (aka Detention) I have created my own detention system. So those 3 students sat on the floor outside of my classroom until they finished their homework. Meanwhile, the solitary good student managed to get 100% on her pop quiz, besides being finished all her homework. The policy I have in this class is if someone gets 100% on the quiz, they get a prize (it's really difficult to get a perfect score). Since I'd been given 2 chocolate bars by admirers today I gave one of them to her as a prize. Then we watched a fun movie until the other students finished up so we could start the regular class work. When the other kids returned this conversation took place.

Me: Wow, Amy got 100% on her quiz today so she got a prize.
Other Students: WHAT?!!? Really?! What is the prize?
Me: A chocolate bar.
One Boy: You gave her cigarettes?!
Me: WTF?!?!

I have no idea how he interpreted 'chocolate bar' as cigarettes but just thinking about that kept me giggling for the rest of the day. The absurdity. I totally crack up every time I think about me giving away cigarettes as a prize. That boy really needs to work on his listening comprehension.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment, huh? I love reading about the kooky things the kids say/do!

Carter said...

Me too!!