Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Sad Task

We had to whittle down our book collection before we go back to Canada. Later I'm going to try to figure out how many books I read this year (yeah, I probably should have kept track better... oh well). I can say with confidence that it was a lot more than last year so that means I met one of my goals for this year.

Keep in mind, this is just the stack we decided to get rid of (although that was really tough since I enjoyed a number of these books a lot but it's just not realistic to bring them to Canada) and it doesn't include the stack that we've already sent to Canada in a box or the stack that we still have in our closet. Yikes!

We went to What the Book to try and get something for them which turned out to be not much at all. This store is amazing for finding books but since they are the ONLY used English book store (that I know of) in Korea they pretty much can screw you big time when buying books. Pretty depressing and there was probably a better way to go about it (say giving the books away but most of my friends have read these books since many were book club choices) but we are getting close to the wire and needed to unload them.

I ended up using store credit to pick up two books that I have wanted to read for some time: Flowers for Algernon and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I just finished reading The Tesseract (it was fabulous, thanks to Eddie for giving it to us) and have started Flowers for Algernon. What can I say, it's winter vacation and we are both pretty sick. I've got the worst cold I've had all year so even though it's vacation and Christmas I have spent the majority of my time lying in bed feeling sorry for myself. My goal is to get better before we fly to Canada. I already am making a list of the books I want to read next year. I am totally looking forward to living in a country where every soft cover novel doesn't cost $20 and where libraries exist.

1 comment:

Kirsty Bryce said...

I really enjoyed Flowers for Algernon, although I found it incredibly sad.