Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Birthday to Remember

Well you all know how much I love movies. So on Thursday Amber and I went out for some galbi at this restaurant the other Matt swore by. After our bellies were filled we did some wandering around and then came across the local cineplex. We scanned the movies that were playing and decided to see this fantastical cinematic wonder...

Pan's Labyrinth. We didn't know what it's like or if it is any good since all the previews for it have been in Korean but the previews made it look pretty cool and creative. It is probably just another cute little family movie along the lines of the original Labyrinth (with less David Bowie) or Mirror Mask - which would be fine...
As it turned out, however, this is not an American movie or even a British movie, this is a Mexican movie. This is something Amber and I discovered only after we had purchased our tickets and taken our seats in the theatre. (In my defense, I tried looking the movie up online earlier and I swear it said it was in English. Also a Korean lady outside of the theatre who spoke English told us it was in English.) So I went out and in my broken outlandishly poor Hanguk I explained to the usher that the movie was not in English but in Spanish. He was surprised (I guess he didn't know either) but he understood. I could not get our money back but we were able to see another movie. Amber will say that I tricked her into seeing this, but truthfully it was fate. And so it was by some happy fortune that we saw this little treasure...

Step Up! I highly recommend that all of you rush out to see this dance and drama masterpiece at once! Let me wet your appetite. Imagine two worlds colliding - one soul is from a distinguished arts school and the other is from the wrong side of the tracks. The stars cross their paths and they fall in love through their dance. As the trailer says this is the "feel good movie of the year". Some of you might be skeptical and some may be determined not to love it, but give it a chance and it will win you over, just like the female lead wins over her widowed mother who believes dancing is a silly pasttime. It will convince you in the same way the male lead convinces the art school director that he is not a good for nothing punk. Yes. See STEP UP. See it for the marvellous dance routines, the fresh new acting talent, and the heart pounding romance. See it for the camel toe!

As an interesting side note, I had to go to the bathroom during the movie. I couldn't find it and the usher could clearly see that I was confused. He asked what I was looking for and I could not for the life of me remember how to say 'where is the bathroom?' (I know now: it is "Hwa chung shill awdi issawyo?"***). The only thing I could remember is what Paige said to me, which was "Ddong mario". Roughly translated "I have to take a shit".

The usher found this very amusing, as has every Korean person I've shared this anecdote with. Basically the usher laughed his ass off and then ran over to the popcorn girl who proceeded to laugh her ass off. I was just glad I could brighten someone's day as much as "Step Up" had brightened mine.


***Note: this is a very poorly written phonetic representation of this phrase.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo matt, great way to get your point across, and I'm sure that you went through all that just to see that movie (I know you like a good cry) muahahahaha
p.s. I finally read some of this so you now can get off of my back
Trav

Anonymous said...

I never know when it is Amber or Matt writing! I thought this was an Amber anecdote till right now!

What I want to know Matt, is how you havent worked out how to ask where the bathroom is yet? I thought that would be kind of essential!

ambearo said...

Surprisingly enough you can get by with knowing very little Korean here. Of course we are attempting to learn as much as possible but bathrooms here are frequent and generally well marked so asking where one is isn't a commonly needed question.