Friday, October 13, 2006

Apparently no one is happy...

with their physical appearance. So last night I went downtown to do a bit of shopping and one of the places I went was the Face Shop (kind of like the Body Shop). I bought some really awesome and delicious smelling hand lotion (peach and pomegrante scent) to have at work and when I paid for it they slipped some free samples of other products into my bag. When I got home I looked at the samples and as it turns out they were for mosturizing and whitening your face. Yep, this lotion contained some kind of bleaching agent (perhaps this is the stuff Michael Jackson uses?). I asked Kelly teacher about this today (since she is a wealth of information) and she confirmed that these lotions exist but that they don't really work and often contain sunscreen, not bleach. She explained that Korean women really want to have a "clean, white face". I'm not sure what's worse- bleaching your skin or tanning it, but it seems like no one is content with what they've got.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bleaching your skin!Blah! I hate not being tanned...only if you could see how white I am, Amber...aww...soo sad..
stephie

ambearo said...

Stephie, you could never be pale- you're perma-tanned! Anyway, if you think you're that pale you should come here and you'd fit right in. :-)

Anonymous said...

We actually carry a line at the Body Shop called "Moisture White"-- it's a combo of licorice and vitamin c which acts on the enzyme that triggers melanocytes to produce melanin. It's pretty crazy- doesn't bleach the skin but it does get rid of sun spots and uneven skin tone!!
~Breanna

ambearo said...

Breanna!! I haven't heard from you in ages! No wonder licorice is so skanky to eat if it bleaches your skin! Blech!

Anonymous said...

I saw it all through thailand and malaysia too! I heard it has to do with status. Funny how it is the opposite here!