Sunday, August 19, 2007

Welcome Ms. Margot!

Wow, we have been incredibly busy this month! In a lot of ways it's flying and then other times it seems like it's dragging a bit since we're excited to return to Canada. I am so behind with blogging that I worry a bit that I won't finish until after we're already back in Canada. Eeps! I'll try to get my act together and get things caught up.

One thing that should help me out is we have a new teacher! She is extremely lovely and I like her a lot and she's called Margot and she comes from NYC! She arrived Wednesday (which was a national holiday here) and we've been showing her around and helping her get settled. Tonight we took her into Seoul for the first time and met with Joi Teacher for dinner and some drinks.









On our way to the restaurant we happened upon this gem of a store:













I'm not sure why my flash didn't work for the first picture but you can clearly see the store's name in the second one. I wish they had that printed on a t-shirt because I'd buy it in a second!

Something else that Matt and I did today was teach at a local public elementary school's English Camp. It was interesting to see the inside of a public school but of course things were ridiculously last minute, disorganized and poorly communicated. It was actually my boss who asked us if we wanted to do this, in case anyone out there is worried we were "working outside our visa" or something. I'm amazed at how well I can think on my feet because I'd thought/hoped that they would already have activities planned (considering they were looking for teachers less than 2 days before the camp- I figured some had cancelled) but I wasn't too surprised to find out there was nothing planned and it was all up to me to "teach" 5 groups of 20 kids (of various ages and English levels) something to occupy them for 40 minutes.

Oh yeah, did I mention I had zero supplies? Oh and the games we'd brought from the school on our boss' suggestion were totally inappropriate and useless. Let's just say there was a lot of improvisation, probably minimal English learning but the kids had a lot of fun playing some games. Hahah. I'm not even sure what we're getting paid for doing this, actually, and my boss failed to mention we needed to bring our account info so the school could wire us payment so we have to fax that on Monday.

Anyway, that's the basic rundown of what we've been up to when we're not at school teaching overtime and feverishly preparing for Open House (man, my kids are going to be more adorable than usual). So don't worry, Margot didn't turn out to be a psycho who harvested our organs in the middle of the night. We'll still be back soon!

No comments: